Most Common Questions About Truck Accidents
After a truck accident, you will likely have many questions about your situation. You might wonder if you can ever get your life back on track and what rights are available to you and whether you can ever get your life back on track. Read on for a brief overview of truck accidents, relevant facts and proactive measures that you can take to help remedy your situation.
Fatal Accident Statistics from 2014
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and Highway Loss Data Institute reported that 3,660 individuals lost their lives in commercial truck crashes in 2014.
Of those, 68 percent were in other vehicles, 15 percent were pedestrians, cyclists or motorcycle riders, and 16 percent were in semi-trucks.
Estimated Total Costs of Commercial Truck Accidents
Commercial motor vehicle accident damages, including property damage, injuries and deaths, cost the nation the following estimated total amounts according to the FMCSA.
|Year||Total Cost of Damages|
Why a Semi Truck Accident Often Results in Injury and/or Death
The sheer size of commercial vehicles when they collide with a car that weighs far less than they do means that collisions often result in deadly accidents. The vehicles usually cannot brake in time to avoid an accident, leading to more serious injuries.
Common Reasons for Semi-Truck Accidents
While the FMSCA lists various reasons for commercial rig accidents, the following are the most common:
- Driver mistakes, including fatigue, distracted driving, drinking, inattention, speed and similar reasons
- Malfunctioning equipment, including poor maintenance, manufacturing errors, design defects and a lack of adherence to FMSCA guidelines
- Inclement weather, including failure to adjust for braking on wet or icy surfaces
- Improper loading, such as a load that is not secured or properly distributed, causing it to slip off or even cause the vehicle to tip over and crash
- Non-compliant trucking company that fails to follow industry requirements.
How to Avoid Semi-Truck Accidents
You can take the following steps in order to avoid semi-truck accidents:
- Watch for the semi’s blind spots or “no-zones” – If you can’t see the driver, then he or she probably cannot see you.
- Give yourself enough space to the sides and in front and in back of your vehicle, especially when going up or down a hill.
- Plan ahead – Don’t change lanes quickly.
- Pull off the road in an emergency and use your hazard lights.
- Don’t give in to road rage.
In addition, apply common rules of the road, such as using your turn signals, driving defensively, adjusting driving to the local weather and abiding by the speed limit.
Contact Our Truck Accident Lawyers in Cleveland
If you or a loved one has been in a semi-truck accident, contact our truck accident attorneys for assistance. Our truck accident lawyers understand the devastation that these crashes cause and work with clients to obtain justice, including a truck accident settlement.
Image provided by ACE Solid Waste under the creative commons attribution 2.o generic license.
Comments are now closed