Next Steps If You Can’t Work After an Accident
Have you been injured in an accident in Ohio? Are you unable to work because of your injuries? You could be entitled to thousands of dollars in compensation.
Whether you are employed full-time or part-time, or you’re self-employed, you could receive funds to cover all the costs associated with your accident, such as medical bills, as well as lost income and missed earning opportunities.
Here are some of the most common questions about this topic:
What should I do after an accident?
Wherever your accident took place, you should follow these steps:
- Seek medical attention. This is extremely important. Depending on the severity of the accident, you can call 911 or attend a hospital or doctor’s office. Ask for a medical report of your condition. This can help a personal injury lawyer fight for the compensation you deserve.
- Document the accident. Once you are safe, you might want to collect evidence that could support a future personal injury claim. This might include photos of your injuries or the accident “scene.” You might want to see if there is any security footage of the accident. (If your accident happened in the workplace, a qualified work injury lawyer can help you with this.)
- Contact an attorney. You will need to contact a personal injury attorney who can guide you through the compensation process and provide you with expert advice based on your individual circumstances.
I can’t work because I was involved in an accident. Am I entitled to any compensation? How much?
In Ohio, you can seek out compensation for costs associated with your accident. If you have been involved in an accident and are no longer able to work, you could receive compensation to cover the following:
- Medical bills
- Prescription costs
- Lost wages
- Missed earning opportunities
- Other business-related perks
How does compensation work? How do I prove an accident?
Seeking compensation after an accident can be a challenge if you don’t have the right legal representation. Ideally, you should hire the services of a personal injury attorney who will be able to prove the following:
- You are unable to work because of your accident.
- You have lost money/other business-related perks because of your accident.
A personal injury attorney will help you work out how much you have lost/will lose because of your accident.
How can a personal injury attorney in Ohio help me?
A good personal injury attorney in Ohio can handle all the paperwork associated with your compensation claim and prepare your case for the courts (if necessary). When you work with a qualified, reputable personal injury lawyer, not only will you increase your chances of securing the compensation you deserve, but you won’t have to deal with all the administrative work that comes with making a compensation claim.
All you will need to do is to provide your attorney with documentation from your doctor that proves your injuries and, if employed, a letter from your company that details your name, position, rate of pay, and the number of work hours you have missed. If you are self-employed, your lawyer will tell you how you can prove lost earnings.
If I get injured at work, will I still be paid?
This will depend on various factors, including the terms of the contract you signed when you started your job. You should, however, be able to file a compensation claim if your employer was liable for your accident.
If you are self-employed, you might not be able to work at all, which will result in a considerable drop in your income.
In both of these situations, you should consult with a personal injury attorney.
It can be difficult to know what to do after an accident, but following the steps above will increase your chances of a successful claim for compensation if you can’t work because of an accident. To learn more, contact personal injury lawyers at FDS Law for a free consultation.
Comments are now closed