7 Ways To Protect Yourself From Theft
Here are some great ways to protect yourself and avoid theft.
- Do not sign your credit cards – write PHOTO ID REQUIRED on the back instead.
- NEVER put your credit card number on the memo line when paying on the account by check, only use the last four numbers of the account.
- Use your work number on pre-printed checks rather than your home phone number.
- Make a photo copy of your wallet contents (both sides of cards) and store it in a secure place in case your wallet is stolen.
- Make sure you have the customer service telephone numbers and account numbers of all your credit cards handy in case you have to report the cards stolen.
- File a police report in the jurisdiction of where your wallet was stolen – this proves to credit providers you were diligent in reporting the theft.
- Call the three major credit reporting organizations immediately and place a fraud alert.
Also do this with the Social Security Administration’s fraud line number. Doing this means that they know your information was stolen and they will have to contact you prior to authorize new credit.
The applicable numbers are:
- TRANS UNION
Comments are now closed