If you or a loved one has even been in a car accident, you know that it can be a traumatizing experience for everyone involved. It is difficult to predict what the best actions to take after a car accident occurs are; however, it is always a good thing to be prepared.
What to do after a car accident
- Stay Calm. If you stay as calm as you possibly can, you will be helping yourself and others involved. Breathe deeply, count to ten, think of anything calming that helps you slow down your heart rate and focus.
- Check for injuries. It is true that your adrenaline rush can mask symptoms. If you or anyone involved might be injured, call an ambulance immediately.
- Turn on your hazard lights. This may be the last thing on your mind, but it is essential for keeping your surroundings as safe as possible. Turning on your hazards lets drivers behind you know there’s an incident ahead.
- Get out of traffic. If the accident seems minor and there aren’t any injuries, move cars out of the way and to the closest safe place.
- Call the police. The police will organize the chaos for you. They will sort through the scene, talk to the involved parties, and write up an accident report.
- Notify your insurance agent. An insurance agent can help you sort through your options, even if the accident was minor.
- Start taking notes Things happen so quickly that it’s easy to forget details. Jot down your recollections of the accident, including the damage to all cars. If possible, get the contact information of any witnesses.
- Take pictures. If your cell phone can do it or if you’ve got a camera on hand – and it’s safe to do so – take photos of the accident scene and any damage you can see.
- Exchange insurance information. If the name on the auto registration and/or insurance policy is different from the name of the driver, establish the relationship and note it.
- Stay put. Don’t leave the scene of the accident until everything is taken care of, no matter how minor the incident is.
Have any other questions? At Friedman, Domiano & Smith we handle all types of auto accident cases. Give us a call today.
Tips provided by State Farm Insurance