Wrongful Death: An Overview
We know it is hard to concentrate on a lawsuit if you’re grieving the loss of a family member. In our experience, every family’s needs are different, but you probably have questions. Friedman, Domiano & Smith will pursue your claims, whether the case involves an auto accident, a fatal workplace injury or an undiagnosed risk of suicide. Our aim is to maximize your total recovery while keeping you insulated from the strain of litigation.
Offering Personalized Answers To Your Deepest Concerns
Over the years, we have worked with clients throughout Ohio. We can answer your questions about legal options, but there are other matters we can help you with, including:
- Insurance and death benefits
- Immediate financial needs of your family
- Probate and estate administration
- Settlement to minimize the burden of taxes
What is a wrongful death claim?
Wrongful death claims are brought up against a defendant who caused someone else’s death by being negligent or by intentional harm. Wrongful death claims allow the estate of the deceased person to file a lawsuit against those who are legally liable. Usually, the suit is filed by representatives of the estate such as family members or others who were affected.
What are the main elements of a wrongful death lawsuit?
Wrongful death lawsuits have four main elements:
- The defendant owed the deceased person a duty of care.
- The defendant breached the duty of care.
- The breach caused the deceased to suffer fatal injuries.
- The deceased and/or their survivors incurred damages.
Learn more about why you need a wrongful death attorney.
What damages can I recover?
In a wrongful death lawsuit, you can expect to recover damages for:
- Loss of support, based on compensation or earnings the deceased person would have reasonably earned had they lived
- Loss of services of the deceased person, for work such as child care and housework
- Loss of the care and companionship of the deceased person
- Loss of the prospective inheritance of the deceased person
- Mental anguish suffered by survivors
Wrongful death cases involve different kinds of claims, which we will examine when we discuss your case with you. We carefully analyze all of the options and advise you accordingly. You can read more about wrongful death lawsuits here.
For More Information, Call Today
Read about our verdicts and settlements in these types of cases to get a better idea of how we can help. Call our office in Cleveland at 216-777-4121 or complete our online form to get a free consultation and learn more about your rights.