Gas explosion cases come around less often than other cases, however, they are some of the most serious and sensitive cases we’ve ever settled. Last year, we settled a gas explosion lawsuit for the Pitchler family out of Eastlake, Ohio.
Gas leaks are not to be taken lightly. Here is some helpful information you need to take into consideration in order to protect your family and your home.
What causes a gas leak?
Gas leaks are most often caused by poorly-fitted, ill-maintained, or faulty appliances in the home. If the appliance is poorly-fitted, gas can escape from the gas hose. We recommend having your appliances installed or checked by Gas Safe Engineers.
How do you detect a gas leak?
The most obvious sign of a gas leak in your home is the smell of gas. If you are feeling sudden lightheadedness, dizziness, or nausea, step outside and get some fresh air. If symptoms go away in the fresh air, this could be a sign that you are sensing a gas leak inside of your home or carbon monoxide poisoning.
- You should still check your appliances for tell-tale signs of a gas leak. For example, the flame on your stove should be clear blue rather than a yellow or orange.
- Get any pilot lights checked if they seem to be going out very often.
- Look out for any soot or scorched areas around your appliances.
- Watch for excessive condensation on windows or a musty smell in the air of your home.
If you’ve experienced any of the above points, take action immediately
Here are the necessary steps to follow:
- Turn off the gas supply at your gas meter.
- Get as much fresh air in the house as soon as possible. Open all the windows/doors you can.
- While you’re letting fresh air in, avoid using any electrical switches, smoking, matches, or lighters.
- Once you have taken these steps, call your local professionals at the fire station, gas company, police station, etc. *However, do not call from inside your home. Step outside and make the phone call or go to a neighbor’s home and call from there.
If you have any questions about this scary, dangerous situation don’t hesitate to call the professionals immediately.